Sunday, January 12, 2014

December 23, 2013

Merry Christmas

Yesterday at church I had the opportunity to listen to the choir sing the song a Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief and it made me laugh the depth of the song. Here maybe this will make more sense...
 A poor, wayfaring Man of grief
Hath often crossed me on my way,
Who sued so humbly for relief
That I could never answer nay.
I had not pow'r to ask his name,
Whereto he went, or whence he came;
Yet there was something in his eye
That won my love; I knew not why.
We are all children of God. I wonder if we were all to look at our lives and all the chances we just let walk passed.  In missionary work everyone you meet has the potential to be dressed in white. Everyone. Jesus Christ didn't come as the most attractive person on the earth but the fact is he came. I have seen many a man walk with full purpose of heart and I have seen others with no hope of tomorrow walk passed me.  The spirit of Christmas is reaching out to the people we don't necessary glance at. The people who need the light of Christ but don't know they don't have it or feel they need something.  Christ would never say no to a person who sincerely asked and we shouldn't either.!
Once, when my scanty meal was spread,
He entered; not a word he spake,
Just perishing for want of bread.
I gave him all; he blessed it, brake,
And ate, but gave me part again.
Mine was an angel's portion then,
For while I fed with eager haste,
The crust was manna to my taste.
I recall a story about a group of scouts who had the opportunity during the Christmas season to give meals to homeless at first they all complained they didn't want to give up their Christmases to help people they didn't know. They all went. The dining hall was not large enough to seat all the people and so they would let the women and children in first and then they would let the men. Of course they thought there would be more men but most of the people who entered to eat that night were women and children.  How amazing it must have felt to see all of these people enjoy a Christmas they could have never dreamed of. They all left that night with a new tradition in their hearts. They would give a new gift that year...the gift of their time.
I spied him where a fountain burst
Clear from the rock; his strength was gone.
The heedless water mocked his thirst;
He heard it, saw it hurrying on.
I ran and raised the suff'rer up;
Thrice from the stream he drained my cup,
Dipped and returned it running o'er;
I drank and never thirsted more.
Christ is the living water. Those that drink of His water will never thirst. What is the significance of water. I like to think of the elementary science answer. Water is a renewable resource.  As soon as you use it it doesn't mean there is none left it just means it will take some time to get some more. We are each given chances.  Millions of chances because Christ was born! Because that baby was born we can be reborn every Sunday. We can partake of that living water every day and share it just as often!
'Twas night; the floods were out; it blew
A winter hurricane aloof.
I heard his voice abroad and flew
To bid him welcome to my roof.
I warmed and clothed and cheered my guest
And laid him on my couch to rest,
Then made the earth my bed and seemed
In Eden's garden while I dreamed.
I would like to relate a story of two of my dear friends. One of these friends recently received a long awaited custody of two of her darling boys much loved and missed. As I spoke to another of my friends I heard of some sad news.  When the boys had arrived they had only the clothes on their backs and no shoes.  At a shock to the young mother she welcomed her boys with no ability to give them the things they truly needed. She had spent her earning on retrieving the boys from an unsafe living situation. My other friend told me of something she desired so very much. She being also not well off told me she wanted to spend what little money she had to buy the two shoes.  What a Christmas gift that will be for not only the two boys but the young mother to find God is watching out for her this Christmas.
Stript, wounded, beaten nigh to death,
I found him by the highway side.
I roused his pulse, brought back his breath,
Revived his spirit, and supplied
Wine, oil, refreshment--he was healed.
I had myself a wound concealed,
But from that hour forgot the smart,
And peace bound up my broken heart.
I had an experience the other night. We have an old bed in our apartment one that I may add is comfortable unless in fact you have not been sleeping then it is awful. My companion had received an illness which I believe was greatly because of her lack of sleep. Well last night I did something I didn't know why I did.  She slept on my bed while I slept on the ground.  I didn't sleep much last night but for the first time my whole mission I felt like I had slept a good nights rest. I can not describe why it happened. This morning after the long night my companions fever broke and she is now returning to full health.  I have no doubt Christ would have done the same for me.
In pris'n I saw him next, condemned
To meet a traitor's doom at morn.
The tide of lying tongues I stemmed,
And honored him 'mid shame and scorn.
My friendship's utmost zeal to try,
He asked if I for him would die.
The flesh was weak; my blood ran chill,
But my free spirit cried, "I will!"
 Then in a moment to my view
The stranger started from disguise.
The tokens in his hands I knew;
The Savior stood before mine eyes.
He spake, and my poor name he named,
"Of me thou hast not been ashamed.
These deeds shall thy memorial be;
Fear not, thou didst them unto me."
I love the Christmas season. I cant describe to you why I love it so much. I know my Savior came for me.  I am sure his life was no piece of cake but I know he came here with purpose. He knew what he was destined for and for that I am truly grateful. I love the Lord. Remember that and Merry Christmas.
Love,

Sister Cawley

No comments:

Post a Comment