Thursday, May 30, 2013

May 27,2013

A Whole New Verse of London Bridges


So you all probably saw on the news which go figure it made national the bridge collapse in Mt. Vernon where I am serving.  No worries I wasn't there.  Luckily we were at a members house celebrating my companions birthday.  All the Elders are fine and we were freaked out to find out after about an hour they missed the crash by about 10 minutes.  So we are all safe.  On the good news front nobody was killed at least that they know of everyone was able to get out of their car for the most part.  There was however on lady and her husband whose car flipped.  Their story was quite remarkable as the husband served in the police or army or something and his arm broke all the while his wife lay unconscious next to him.  He pooped his arm back in place and rescued his wife.  They are both doing fine.  (I have yet to actually read any newspapers or watch the news which is frustrating) The hardest part is facing the after effects considering the bridge was part of the main freeway, so now traffic is killer even more so with it being memorial day weekend.  The funny thing is that everyone knew the bridge would fall. It was an old bridge and would shake whenever you passed onto the section that fell.  They are quickly attempting to rebuild the bridge as well its the freeway. This week has been a little frustrating but I am still alive so that is good. My companion is doing better for the most part and hopefully will continue to do better.  My other companion and I are however being as kooky as ever and even resorted to buying matching pajamas yesterday so we look good together.  She keeps laughing because she wants a quick wedding when she gets home I keep telling her quick for her I am going home how ever many months before to start planning as I am her "maid of honor" sort of unofficial but official which I find kind of funny.  Her flower is also finally growing which makes life great as she sings to it daily.  Soon who knows it may actually have a daisy!! She is super great and continues to balance out chaos for me.  Also she helps reduce a lot of stress. It is actually kind of nice.  We do enjoy laughing here.  Also I am giving up soda which has been a goal of mine this transfer and being myself I have put it off until this week.  I have actually been trying to ween myself off using different kinds of juices! Hopefully the headaches will not be as bad as this is something I really need for myself.  So lets see what else has happened this week.  Oh yeah my companion for her birthday got one of those new furby things I just have to say I like the old ones a lot more.  These ones eyes light up and so one of the Elders saw it and the furby's eyes lit up with hearts.  At least we know what gender it is.  Also it dances to Alex Boye.  She is trying to get it to dance to other stuff but so far it just calls the other music lame! Ha ha.  Life is great here.  We also went to a cool fireside the other day for John Schmidt one of the piano guys.  He was performing a concert in Seattle area with the group and since his son is serving in the Everett Washington Mission the Mission President requested he do a special fireside for non-members and fellow shippers and the missionaries.  So we went with a recent convert and one of our investigators. He bore his testimony and played some pieces for us.  At the end he had a special arrangement of Onward Christian Soldiers set up for a special musical number with all of the missionaries.  In the prelude we all stood up and went to the rows and sang in the second (3rd) verse we all marched in unison and at the very end we all raised our Book of Mormons to the sky.  It was a moving experience especially to see all the people looking around and saying, "Wow they go all the way to the back". We pretty much did.  The whole chapel, overflow, and cultural hall including the stage were filled with people so it just goes to show how many missionaries there were.  It was amazing.  After that he made a request that his son bear his testimony to the whole group.  It was the most amazing testimony I have heard on my mission.  Since John Schmidt's whole fireside was centered around the Mormon message earthly father heavenly father  his son bore his testimony around that.  It was truly a remarkable experience.  I am so happy to be serving my father in heaven.  I am constantly reminded of his sacrifices to me.  I love him so much as well as my earthly father who has shown me a glimpse of what my Father in Heaven sees in me.  We were told to think about the best father in the world we could think of it and times that love by a million and all I could do it say wow! I love my family and I have such a testimony of the restored gospel.  I am still making some mistakes on my mission that I know I could do better at, but I know without a doubt that my Heavenly Father sent someone who understands and will go through that grueling process with me.  He hasn't given up on me yet, he hasn't let my family, so neither should I!
Love

Sister Shaylin Cawley

No comments:

Post a Comment